Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Similar topics

Latest topics

» Resume Star Wars
Clan Snow Raven EmptyJanuary 6th 2015, 16:02 by LegendaryExGamer

» We will call this new game: Star Wars Executor
Clan Snow Raven EmptyDecember 17th 2014, 08:28 by Xeen

» NPC Allies of Star Wars Executor
Clan Snow Raven EmptyNovember 4th 2014, 13:37 by LegendaryExGamer

» Dark Trooper Repair Droid version 1
Clan Snow Raven EmptyOctober 21st 2014, 14:04 by Xeen

» Vaul Ferros, Ronin
Clan Snow Raven EmptyOctober 18th 2014, 04:05 by Disco_Lemonade

» Star Wars Executor
Clan Snow Raven EmptyOctober 14th 2014, 17:12 by LegendaryExGamer

» Star Wars Executor
Clan Snow Raven EmptyOctober 2nd 2014, 17:21 by LegendaryExGamer

» Clan Campaign
Clan Snow Raven EmptyAugust 14th 2014, 20:44 by Xeen

» The Battle of KDY and Centerpoint Station (pirates game)
Clan Snow Raven EmptyJuly 28th 2014, 16:53 by LegendaryExGamer

Navigation

3 posters

Clan Snow Raven

LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Clan Snow Raven Empty Clan Snow Raven

Post  LegendaryExGamer May 29th 2013, 09:31

This is an area where we can record the trials and developments of the Clan Snow Raven game that Chris runs.

LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Clan Snow Raven Empty No Sugar Coating

Post  LegendaryExGamer May 29th 2013, 09:44

I will not sugar coat this game. In the year the previous buildup game ran we, actually, achieved almost nothing. It is almost as if the story, regardless of our best efforts, was so linear that we could not affect any real lasting and memorable change.

Our characters were the "heros" of the setting, yet every guy we ever faced with at least 3x better than we were. Nothing like feeling impotent for a year of gameplay...

Still, it had some good points. Namely the good company of friends.

What do I want to see in future gameplay? Advanced character development, Modern game system (4th ed), Character Advancement per game (good awarded or doubled experience), non-linear storyline (can alter and completely recreate the history and or future of a game setting), and so much more.

In the current game, we just aren't good enough. Due to what we had done in the previous game, the Freeborns should be as skilled as the Trueborns, yet they are not.
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Clan Snow Raven Empty Re: Clan Snow Raven

Post  Xeen May 29th 2013, 17:16

Chris, in no means take this as an F U. We just want to offer you some criticism of the game. You have to understand that the basic game play is a smack in the face for us. You are beyond it as a game master, and we are beyond it as players. Dont be like Eric, all he likes to do in his games is hold his players back to control them. You are better then that.

If we get mechwarrior up and running again. I would like to point out some things that we need to see.

To make Mechwarrior viable again:
    1) We need more xp. If I cant raise my lowest attribute skill from 0+ to 1+ after each game, then we are not getting enough xp to make the game fun. We need growth in our characters. We need to feel our characters are useful and the HERO caliber.

2) We need a bit more freedom. We spent a year in our first campaign with goals and plans to build up a Clan to be worthy of the status of Invading Clan. We spent most of our games searching and hunting for Bugeyes and Newgrange ships.

We found one Newgrange which belonged to an ally. We could have taken it from them but its better to have an ally. The problem is, we then built our own version... that cannot even repair half the ships in our fleet... pointless.

We also found the bugeyes... And we were not allowed to trial for them. Literaly, we went right up to the Loremaster of Diamond Shark, and was told no. Seriously? One third of our campaign for a year... pointless

3) Unless its an NPC that is holding us back, and is part of the story (who we get to take care of). If we want to compete for bordering worlds that "normally" belong to another Clan. I think we should have that freedom or at least some freedom.

4) Our Star Colonel kinda sucks. His character is a starting character with no skills to do the job. He needs some bonuses to bring him up to the level needed. He does not need to be epic, but the thing is... Normally, he will never be promoted above Star Colonel. Its end game for that character.

What it comes down to... We want to play a game that is EPIC. I love mechwarrior. The thing is, Im 35 years old, and get to play every other week. That is one game. No other games. So I dont care if we switch games every year, I just want to see growth and drive a campaign.

I do not expect to have everything handed to me, but at least let me fight for it.

Last edited by Xeen on May 29th 2013, 23:26; edited 1 time in total
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen May 29th 2013, 21:37

LegendaryExGamer wrote:I will not sugar coat this game. In the year the previous buildup game ran we, actually, achieved almost nothing. It is almost as if the story, regardless of our best efforts, was so linear that we could not affect any real lasting and memorable change.

Our characters were the "heros" of the setting, yet every guy we ever faced with at least 3x better than we were. Nothing like feeling impotent for a year of gameplay...

Still, it had some good points. Namely the good company of friends.

What do I want to see in future gameplay? Advanced character development, Modern game system (4th ed), Character Advancement per game (good awarded or doubled experience), non-linear storyline (can alter and completely recreate the history and or future of a game setting), and so much more.

In the current game, we just aren't good enough. Due to what we had done in the previous game, the Freeborns should be as skilled as the Trueborns, yet they are not.

To add to this.

We used the Tanite worlds to train our watch people in anti terrorist and such tactics. Justin took a watch path and got the standard BS Snow Raven stuff.

We wanted to create a University setting and extend the training time of all our warriors and techs. Did not get that. No reason we couldnt copy this from one of our greatest allies the Cloud Cobras.

We wanted to setup war games with Star Adder to advance our ground combat tactics.

Being "THE" and I mean "THE" industrial power house of clan space. I dont think we had any real improvement in our touman. Everything we have we gained from an absorption of Burrock, which wasnt much.

LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Clan Snow Raven Empty Just Criticism

Post  LegendaryExGamer May 30th 2013, 00:36

Chris what Todd said is true, this is not an F U. This is because we are both advanced players and we're not getting any younger. We want to live vicariously through our character's exploits and we cannot do that with the way the game runs.

Sure, I have my issues with 4th edition but it's no reason not to run it. You know everything about the game setting to being with. My main point is that 4th edition allows you to create a character that you ACTUALLY WANT TO PLAY because you have FULL CONTROL over the character creation. No one starts better than anyone else, but at least we all start as HEROES and our skills and attributes can and will reflect this and the attributes translate directly into skill bonuses. Not to mention we don't have to roll a 59 on a ten sided die to succeed. It's a better system for a more even level of advancement, you can raise skills and attributes a helluva lot more effectively (skills almost every game and attributes every 5-10 games) TOTALLY designed for advanced gamers like Todd and I.

Think about it, I have all the books and I will give them to you. I want to re-make my character the way he SHOULD have been.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Clan Snow Raven Empty Mechwarrior

Post  LegendaryExGamer May 31st 2013, 15:12

I may just sit that game out entirely.

If it's going to be in 3rd edition, I don't want to play.

4th may have issues but 3rd has plenty of issues too. All the editions have issues, some however, are just way easier and more fun to play.

2nd might have had limited detail and a lot of characters looked the same, but honestly, it's Mechwarrior... That's what we are, mechwarriors, we are supposed to look the same.

4th Edition allows for full character design and personal choice of development. I don't have to roll to get some random outcome. I get to make the character I want to make. If I don't get to do that, without the "rolling for paths" being as unbalanced as it is (because point buy in 3rd edition sucks, you are at a huge disadvantage) I am not interested.

You are going to run 3rd edition, I am not going to play. I have hated the system since its introduction.
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen June 28th 2013, 04:54

LegendaryExGamer wrote:
    Spartan Legionnaire wrote: I wanted to run a "what if" style when the truce expired.  I think a resumed Clan invasion would be interesting.
    How about, instead of there being a truce, we just keep invading.  After some research, we have Wolf and Ghost Bear got victories, Diamond Shark Smoke Jaguar failed, Jade Falcon tied.  Which puts us at 2 Win  to 2 Loss  to 1 Tie.  So, we have Ice Hellion and Snow Raven left if Snow Raven wins and Ice Hellion loses its a complete tie and the invasion continues.  But if Snow Raven wins and Ice Hellion wins we win earth.

I wanted to put this over here. Its worth discussing. I did read that in the Invasion clans book, that Ghost Bear won a marginal victory. So technically there were two clans that had victories in the normal universe.

Normally:
     Wins:
    Wolf
    Ghost Bear

Losses:
    Steel Viper
    Diamond Shark
    Nova Cat
    Smoke Jaguar

Tied:
    Jade Falcon

In this universe we replace Steel Viper and Nova Cat with Snow Raven and Ice Hellion. Both groups have one side of the fight being run by Players that can make changes to the timeline.

That does sound good, and fair.

If Snow Raven Loses and Ice Hellion wins, both player groups lose and the Invasion continues normally.

If Snow Raven Wins and Ice Hellion loses, both player groups win and the Invasion continues normally.

If Snow Raven Loses and Ice Hellion loses, The IS player group wins and the Clan player group loses, so there will be a truce.

If Snow Raven Wins and Ice Hellion Wins, Then the Clan group wins and the IS group loses, and the Clans degrade into Civil War over who controls Earth. Shocked Since it is a proxy battle for Earth, and there will be 4 potential winners of Tukkayid. Then of course, Comstar becomes a part of the Clans. And all the Clanners relocate to the IS. Heh, this could get crazy.

The best bet for all involved is to have both player groups win. The Clanners almost win Earth, the Inner Sphereites almost have a truce. Comstar openly opposes the Clans. The Clans increase their invasion force. Battletech as usual.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer June 28th 2013, 14:10

Honestly, justifications aside.  I think it's time you just "GAVE" us something, like a reason to remain playing.

Not a single initiative or any of the things we fought for over the course of a damn year, came to pass.  

I don't want to wait until the invasion halts and then resumes... NO, this stuff was supposed to be in place for the damn invasion.

Like our dragoon training, you know about 20+ years of it... Something like 2 generations of clanners trained. The first generation training the new generation for the invasion.

What about the Tanite worlds?  How in the hell are the IS people surprising us with their savage tactics?  We already know this, we have been fighting these people and in this manner for 25 years already...

NO.  Screw justification, I absolutely refuse to play unless there is no damn truce OR you give us all the things we should have begun with in the first place.  (like SLDF mechwarrior suits for both elementals and mechwarriors and basically every damn person in our clan, SLDF or clan laser pistols.. .instead of the auto pistol smegma again.  Instead of shit infantry we should have the best equipped people, not ones using fucking Mauser Type I inner sphere garbage)... My god, its as if we wasted our time for an entire year.  

Where the hell is the Light armor I developed and gave you stats for instead of the shitty PAL suit.  I think it was well established that the Nighthawk sucked balls, so why the hell would we make another one?

What about the Bugeyes?  No sourcebook?  Make the shit up based upon the fluff.  Waiting for a book to come out from catalyst games is like ... shit... They might have a fifth edition of the game out by then.

What about the academies? The cross training the failed warrior alternate warrior path training ... Oh yeah.. the Enhanced Anti Terrorism Watch program and the watch academy that my character was building.  Not to mention his relationship with my new character's mother and learning to respect freeborns and integrate them into the mainstream.  I don't eat bucket loads of shit for an entire year only to make up the same character (actually, he's a bit better and that is insulting in and of itself) and suck wind for another campaign.  

I want to play my character, unfettered, and non-stop until we either land on Terra or die trying.  The hell with the cannon setting, this is not a cannon setting.  This is a roleplaying game, where you cater to your players desire for a non linear story progression.  

Production Giants in clan space?  It sure as hell doesn't feel like it.  Not to mention you scripted the Absorption of burrock and wiped them out before we could even do anything about it.  

What about insane die rolls required for some tasks.  For the love of god man... You wonder why I hate 3rd edition so much, the super rolling is bullshit.  None of us feels like a hero, all our enemies are 3-4 x better than we are and even our peers (like bidding against my own clan) are 2-3 x better than we are... WTF!?!  We are supposed to be the BEST OF THE FUCKING BEST... But we suck in all but one or 2 skills.  

What about the Broken Edge attribute... 20 points to buy them back... junk we don't take the attribute about 1 because it is worthless in the setting. Edge does next to nothing. It should refresh like a pool every game. We should be getting free points for concluding story arcs... never seen those. We should get them for heroic stuff... never seen those. The rules are guidelines, they need more fixing than 4th edition... Because 4th just works even with the complex ruleset. No insane rolls necessary. Oh... yeah, and I get to create the character I want, not this random garbage that caters unfairly toward rolling better. Because 3rd edition point buy utterly blows, unless you are evening out the point pools to match the rolls so you can actually build your own character correctly.

I asked for this for over a year, point buy... It did not manifest... dude? What the heck?
    I have no desire to negotiate on this.  

You are my friend, Spartan... I am sorry for sounding off like a douche bag but it needs to be said and hammered in until something changes.
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

Clan Snow Raven Empty MechWarrior

Post  Spartan Legionnaire June 30th 2013, 22:52

I had a lot of things going on at the time when I started MechWarrior again, and I should have waited until I was finished with the Snow Raven Handbook I wanted to create for all my Clan players.

I started the second part of the campaign because the players seemed very excited to continue.  I got caught up in the excitement and instead of putting a hold to it, I began running when I was not completely prepared.  My fault.  I know it is.  Now with that said, I am placing the Snow Raven campaign on hold.

If the players wish to flush it, then so be it.  If the players wish to wait until I am ready with additional source material relevant to the campaign, then so be it.  If the players wish to start a whole new campaign with the new edition, then so be it.

Truthfully, I'd like to continue the Snow Raven campaign, but at the same time I'd like to run a 3025 mercenary campaign with the new edition.  But for right now, I need to run something else before returning to MechWarrior.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 1st 2013, 12:37

Spartan Legionnaire wrote:I had a lot of things going on at the time when I started MechWarrior again, and I should have waited until I was finished with the Snow Raven Handbook I wanted to create for all my Clan players.

That's fine, but it's a somewhat nasty undertaking. I have worked on at least 3, and never completed any of them. They're ugly to do but at the same time, you can't just do one alone. We had too many player initiatives to cover easily without writing it with us.

Spartan Legionnaire wrote:
    I started the second part of the campaign because the players seemed very excited to continue.  I got caught up in the excitement and instead of putting a hold to it, I began running when I was not completely prepared.  My fault.  I know it is.  Now with that said, I am placing the Snow Raven campaign on hold.

Dude, there was like a six month hiatus between the original game and this. We never even got to have any sort of meaningful closure in the first one. We had a ton of stuff going on and we fought for everything we gained. That's part of the reason why I, personally, felt robbed. Essentially, our new characters should be disgustingly prepared for the invasion. Show Raven should not fall prey to dirty inner sphere tactics and not be surprised at all by what they are facing and the Dragoons Cluster should be the revered, elite unit that everyone wants to work in unison with because we are there to safeguard our clan during the invasion, not so much fight amongst ourselves to participate in the battles. I don't care about the battles as much as I care about the role playing aspects that missing. It's like we started all over again in the 3025 era, with no prestige, no support, nothing special, we are nobodies and its just a reboot of the former game with new characters with no clout. Why do you think I pushed so hard to be a Star Colonel in the first place? I did this so we wouldn't have to waste time screwing around making rolls to get mechs, or helmets or whatever.

The Dragoon cluster is the unit that should be in the conference room for every combat drop, regardless of whether or not we drop into combat. We need to be part of everything as an essential piece. Not as a competitive part so much, we HAVE TO BE INVOLVED IN EVER ENGAGEMENT AS A NECESSITY due to the preparation and training and ... my god, to keep our brethren alive! There is too much "clan cannon infighting" going on at this point. We should have had alliances and pacts and a unified invasion with all the people we developed stronger ties with. Yet we are, once again, involved in constant pissing matches and bidding down our own forces against our OWN DAMN CLAN, WHEN WE (as in ALL OF THE SNOW RAVENS AT THIS POINT) know exactly what kind of foe we are facing. We should be burning every comstar facility into the ground not because we know they are evil but because we DO NOT NEED THEM. Our Snow Raven Watch program should be so damn advanced at this point, regardless of what other clans are doing with comstar, we simply do not care. Comstar is fielding junk, we don't even need their HPGs... Of their intel, we already know because of the Tanite worlds, the dragoon reports and the dragoon training.

If the players wish to flush it, then so be it.  If the players wish to wait until I am ready with additional source material relevant to the campaign, then so be it.  If the players wish to start a whole new campaign with the new edition, then so be it.

Do you even understand what we have been saying, repetitively, the entire time? The game is flush worthy because you have listened but not understood everything we have fought for and accomplished. All of our actions have amounted to two things "Jack and Squat". The hell with the additional source material, its a damn dropship with a jump drive with ultra advanced sensors... Make one, and retcon it later. We can see the pepper on a dude's omelet from out system in a Bugeye... Why the hell did you think we wanted them in the first place? The suck balls as warships. If the corvette is being used as one, with the original transplanted sensor package ... we should have built about 6 more of them already (at least).

Truthfully, I'd like to continue the Snow Raven campaign, but at the same time I'd like to run a 3025 mercenary campaign with the new edition.  But for right now, I need to run something else before returning to MechWarrior.

The deal is we DO NOT WANT TO START ALL OVER FROM SCRATCH AGAIN... 3025 sucks balls unless we can go cracking open all the SLDF depots around the galaxy and rebuilding and operating a warship or 7... That's what Todd and I will do to the setting. We want to utterly murder everything in our path to glory.

Snow Raven is fine, we all need to remake our characters with the 20+ years of preparation we should have had. Does that mean Trueborns will still be better, hell yes it does, they are genetically designed to be so. But the training remains the same. Washed up warriors get second chances as light armor pilots (not PAL). We only field PAL suits for salvage ops, but even then we would rather use the light suits for that. We established in the last game that PAL suits are utterly worthless.

I would like to use the new rules because we can all make what we want to play, without random craziness. However, I think we need to fix and finish the Snow Ravens first, done right the game damn near tips the scales of a power game... but its should be there already.
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 1st 2013, 14:26

The only thing Justin says that I dont agree with overall:

The bidding against each other is what the clans do, even internally, just for glory. We should bid against each other.... But we have already learned in our first real inner sphere fight that they cannot be trusted.

Snow Raven game only at this point. I wont care to do any other mechwarrior game till after.

I dont care which edition we use, they all have good points and bad points. Though, the rolls can really screw people. It gets to a point with rolling that its only worth it if you roll good. Which I did for all but one.

We were ready to play again, It was closer to 10 months from last game before we made characters, and over a year till we played.

LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 1st 2013, 14:59

Xeen wrote:The only thing Justin says that I dont agree with overall:

The bidding against each other is what the clans do, even internally, just for glory. We should bid against each other.... But we have already learned in our first real inner sphere fight that they cannot be trusted.

Snow Raven game only at this point. I wont care to do any other mechwarrior game till after.

I dont care which edition we use, they all have good points and bad points. Though, the rolls can really screw people. It gets to a point with rolling that its only worth it if you roll good. Which I did for all but one.

We were ready to play again, It was closer to 10 months from last game before we made characters, and over a year till we played.

Yes... Clarification on the bidding.  I agree, its what we do as clans.  But I am getting my ass handed to me by someone who's not supposed to be as good as me but has an insane negotiation ability... because we could not pick our damn skills.  I never even got negotiation, I bought it at level 0 game 1.  

Placing us against our own clan and kicking your player's asses down until they don't get to use any of the specialized units that we are all about is ... beyond insane.  

If every bid to take a world is going to turn out as us bidding 5 mechs, I don't even see the point.  

If skills like artillery are going to verge on how well I use my TAG device...  Why the hell do we even have artillery at all?  If we can't bring Aerospace assets into our fights... Why are we even playing Snow Raven?

If I am the Star Colonel and I call in a direct strike and it takes forever or you tell me the units I want to use to carpet bomb an area are always busy with other targets... There is no point in advancement, ever.

If I want a flak helmet, or another mech or anything and I am the Star Colonel of the unit, and I have to roll for it when we have everything imaginable to our disposal...  Lame.

I took the Rank so I could make the game easier on players so we DIDN'T HAVE TO FIGHT FOR EVERYTHING CONSTANTLY AND ROLL INSANE CRAP TO GET IT.

So, if 3rd edition is going to require us to roll 30-50-70 on a regular basis... cough... Lets play 4th Edition for this.  Because that is just too damn insane.  2D6 + Skill + Attributes = whatever vs a target sounds a helluva lot more enticing and simple to having FUN to me.
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 5th 2013, 08:25

Chris,

Would you be willing to run the Snow Raven game until Tukkayid right here on the forums. No characters in a sense, no game system, just play by forum. We can do all the stuff needed to play through till Tukkayid. Once we hit Tukkayid then we can play with actual characters with higher experience, and start changing the galaxy.
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

Clan Snow Raven Empty Forum Clan RPG

Post  Spartan Legionnaire July 5th 2013, 16:25

Let me think about it. I'm in the process of adding more to the handbook and working on the D&D setting. It does sound like a good idea.
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 7th 2013, 00:31

I think so. It would be quite fun to get the game going. Since the beginning of the campaign is mostly scripted (except certain parts) then should be simple enough. Yeah, put some thought into it.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 8th 2013, 12:29

Xeen wrote:I think so. It would be quite fun to get the game going. Since the beginning of the campaign is mostly scripted (except certain parts) then should be simple enough. Yeah, put some thought into it.

Sounds good, I should probably revisit character design. Keeping the same character is fine, just some things really need to be tweaked.

So, my bigger questions are the following:

If we are going to script / fast forward to the fight with Comstar, what are the changes that we already implemented/fought for, when we hit the ground at that point?

1. Are the training regimens going to be the same for freeborn / Trueborn?
    2. We will have the light suit I developed?
    3. We will all have the SLDF combat suits / Mechwarrior / Aerospace / Tanker / Elemental / Whatever? We fought to have this implemented and it was an agreed upon perk for everyone in the invasion to have.
    4. We will see all kinds of cross training, we will see failed warriors in new roles in the watch and elsewhere other than tech caste.
    5. We will see our academies as they should have been in place
    6. Greater counter terrorism / counter insurgency knowledge as per our 20+ year experience fighting in the tanite worlds, our experience combatting the dark caste, our first hand understanding of the abominations of genetic manipulation and betrayal during that time when clanner turned on clanner with the Burrock fight?
    7. No more issues with obtaining gear
    8. Leveled bidding, as in we should not be competing against people WAY THE HELL better than we are. We are supposed to be the Heroes... We don't feel like heroes. I don't feel like a hero when we are getting smacked around by our own clan.
    9. Our own clan will accept and utilize the dragoons as they should have. Instead of treating us as outcasts, we should be seen as peers and respected because the Dragoon unit should be an elite unit that has been in existence for at least 20 years by now, with at least 2 generations of warriors behind it (the current batch and the previous batch that trained the current people).
    10. Bug eyes.... We should have had at least a dozen by now, or more of the corvettes with the sensor suite integrated. It was a priority.
    11. Like a gazillion more things that Todd has already mentioned and more (plus other stuff I also already brought up).
    12. What system are we using? Which generation of the Mechwarrior engine? 3rd? 4th? Hybrid?
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

Clan Snow Raven Empty Continuing Invasion

Post  Spartan Legionnaire July 8th 2013, 20:21

I'm going to finish the handbook before continuing, this way it should have most of your questions/concerns answered.  The system will remain 3rd edition, since that is where most of my development for the campaign is designed for.

The handbook will have history plus game stats for academies, warships, battlemechs, and battle armor.  Again, once that is completed, we will do a forum-turned-based game for each wave of the invasion leading up to Tukayyid.  XP will be awarded and Edge points will be reset to your starting character level.

As for storytelling, the Dragoon Cluster was going to be treated like a second-class cluster because nearly all of the Clans (a few exceptions) will look upon it as a weakness.  It's very difficult for Clans to break tradition, which shows during the beginning of the invasion.  The players, being part of the Dragoon Cluster, were going to have to prove everyone wrong, which you were going to, I had no doubt.  That would cause a few of the invading Clans to change their overall outlook of the Inner Sphere as well as some of the home Clans.  Certain Clans, like Smoke Jaguar, would not be swayed from tradition.  Then everything your previous characters wanted to do would be realized as an asset to their Clan and things would start changing the way it was suppose to be.  Eventhough the Watch trained on the Tanite worlds doesn't mean they are ready for the Inner Sphere.  It does mean they are better prepared than the other elements of the Watch.  This would have showed when determining potential targets and knowledge of defending units.

Once the handbook is done, then we will continue first on the forums, then at the table for the Battle of Tukayyid.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 9th 2013, 14:38

Honestly, if the other clans think the Dragoon cluster is a second class / second line type of unit ... well, that matters little to me. The problem as I see it, is that the Snow Ravens would not view the Dragoon cluster as a second class entity within their own clan. I have received almost no opposition from any other Clan about the nature of the Dragoon Cluster.

The issue I have is that our own clan treats us like a Solhama unit. We are, once again, back to square one as the scum of our clan... As we were before in the previous game.

My main argument is that our OWN CLAN should know better. I could give a rats ass about any of the other clan's perceptions of one, individual, cluster in our Touman.

We have fought our own clan, as if we were outcasts from the beginning. In the origins campaign we were treated as scum, then those characters took over, per se, and 20+ years later our own clan still treats all of their initiatives as absolute garbage. I am sorry, but internally as Snow Ravens we would compete with one another but we believe in utilizing every asset, regardless of classification. We do not waste ANYTHING. If the Dragoon cluster was a hierarchical established mandate, internally, our own clan mates would not treat us as scum.

Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 10th 2013, 01:04

My thought for doing it here on the forums, is that we can get to Tukkayid in mechwarrior while playing another game on our normal saturdays. This can get us moved forward and in to the real setting changes. There are only two real worlds in the Invasion that I think we need to be at. One is Alshain, the other is the possible depot world (dont know the name).

If we do this, can we reforge our characters a bit? Dont get me wrong, I like my mechwarrior and he will be real deadly. I did also originally plan to play a naval guy (which means starting the game as an Aero pilot with naval genetics.) Since our clan would not put a mechwarrior in command of naval assets, it may be a good idea to have at least one naval guy so we can participate in that aspect of the game.

I was thinking for my character, keep the same rolls and convert to the appropriate paths. It would result in no real change in the character since we havent spent any xp. Paths: creche, sibco, cloister, naval. Maybe reverse the cloister and naval. Either way, if the clans think of our unit as lesser, my character would get placed there even without the dragoon path because of training within another clan.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 10th 2013, 10:00

Yeah, I will do some tweaking but my entire concept of this invasion has changed.

Not certain why I keep making roleplaying characters when this doesn't really seem like a roleplaying game so much as a statistics fight and random rolling slop festival...

I will likely rebuild my concept from the ground up as a Trueborn, because this is bullshit... As a freeborn.

Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 10th 2013, 19:02

LegendaryExGamer wrote:Yeah, I will do some tweaking but my entire concept of this invasion has changed.  

Not certain why I keep making roleplaying characters when this doesn't really seem like a roleplaying game so much as a statistics fight and random rolling slop festival...

I will likely rebuild my concept from the ground up as a Trueborn, because this is bullshit... As a freeborn.

Ease down there a bit. I know the game isnt everything you wanted but it can still be plenty of fun. The game is missing things I wanted too, cant have it all. Granted we are not running the show in the clan, but we will make changes that matter. Relax and enjoy.

Chris, are you ok with us making a few changes character wise?
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

Clan Snow Raven Empty Characters

Post  Spartan Legionnaire July 11th 2013, 10:29

I see no reason why we can't sit down and tweek characters.  When we continue, I will be using a better skill advancement chart that will take into account similar skills.  It should quicken skill advancement and allow easier untrained use of skills which are similar.  For example, if your character has Gunnery/Laser/Humanoid +3 and during the session, the dropship you are on is attacked and you man the dropship laser battery, you can roll 2D10 Gunnery/Laser/Spacecraft at a +0 instead of rolling 3D10 and taking the two worse.
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 11th 2013, 15:41

Sounds good
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 12th 2013, 00:26

Xeen wrote:Sounds good

Ditto
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 17th 2013, 19:48

Skip my idea on the forum running. Lets just play through the invasion and enjoy the game.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content