Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest topics

» Resume Star Wars
New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 6th 2015, 16:02 by LegendaryExGamer

» We will call this new game: Star Wars Executor
New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 EmptyDecember 17th 2014, 08:28 by Xeen

» NPC Allies of Star Wars Executor
New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 EmptyNovember 4th 2014, 13:37 by LegendaryExGamer

» Dark Trooper Repair Droid version 1
New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 EmptyOctober 21st 2014, 14:04 by Xeen

» Vaul Ferros, Ronin
New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 EmptyOctober 18th 2014, 04:05 by Disco_Lemonade

» Star Wars Executor
New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 EmptyOctober 14th 2014, 17:12 by LegendaryExGamer

» Star Wars Executor
New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 EmptyOctober 2nd 2014, 17:21 by LegendaryExGamer

» Clan Campaign
New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 EmptyAugust 14th 2014, 20:44 by Xeen

» The Battle of KDY and Centerpoint Station (pirates game)
New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 EmptyJuly 28th 2014, 16:53 by LegendaryExGamer

Navigation

3 posters

New Game Setting: D&D

Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 Empty Mithril

Post  Spartan Legionnaire June 20th 2013, 21:42

Mithril is a special material.  I'm sure it or something like it will be available.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 Empty Re: New Game Setting: D&D

Post  LegendaryExGamer June 21st 2013, 15:34

I think this should be said regardless.  I'm not attempting to start a fight with this one.  Though I do tend to thrive on certain levels of conflict... 

Why can't we just play a vanilla D&D setting?  You know, like in the manner of standard old fashioned communication... Ask your players what they want to see and, THEN create a game world to their desires (or just use a canned one that already exists).

I had to ask, because the era of play and the somewhat linear grouping of races and primitive human life stuff... Well, it somewhat damages my psyche when I think about a High Fantasy game system.  

I kind of want to be able to play, well, whatever the heck I want to play.  No limitations, standard and universal concepts from one core set of books that are available, easily, to everyone playing.  Instead of hunting down obscure books and picking shit out of them piecemeal and combining it all with a sort of homebrew, limiting, feature set.

Why not just run Pathfinder?  Its an epic, high fantasy setting and rule set with everything already spelled out.  All you need to do is either use their setting or drop their game structure on top or your own setting (which is what I am working on).  

Or for that matter, vanilla D&D of any flavor?  

I absolutely despise limitations in any roleplaying game.  I only thrive in open world settings with unlimited possibilities.  I do not require structure or story.  I think the same goes for Todd.  Though, I will not put words into his mouth that may not actually exist.

Limiting things in Mechwarrior, for example, kills my desire to play.  Actually, by not allowing us to affect change on a massive scale (which we should have accomplished in the last game) makes us linear.  All our efforts over the course of a year of gameplay amounted to absolutely nothing.  

Take another point of view for example, the Clan invasion... We should have been able to more or less choose if we were going to provide ships for the invasion.  Honestly, I have seen absolutely no game impact from the fact that we are getting "concessions" from the other clans.  I think we should have let them crawl into the inner sphere with whatever garbage that was falling apart they had, leaving entire galaxies of their troops stranded.  

While we drove our phalanx into the inner sphere in any damn invasion corridor we chose to take, even going so far as jumping straight to terra and kicking the shit out of Comstar and taking  Earth, then rolling out from the Terran hegemony on our path of conquest.  

Limiting your players breeds two types of players: 1.  A limited player who never grows beyond a linear mindset and 2. A player who will not play your games

Just being honest and direct, I suppose I have wanted to broach this for some time.
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 Empty Settings

Post  Spartan Legionnaire June 21st 2013, 23:34

I usually like to create my own settings, especially for a fantasy setting.  The MechWarrior campaign took shape because I wanted characters to go through some of the historical turning points in history during the invasion, but at the same time, I wanted to run a "what if" style when the truce expired.  I think a resumed Clan invasion would be interesting.

Anyway, I have been completely open for my D&D setting.  If you or anyone else wants to play something specific, just let me know.  The world isn't set in stone yet.  If you like, and that goes for everyone else, just tell me what you want to play (race & class) and that'll form the core of the game.  Just had to ask. I'm not going to sweat over it.  I just want to run a fantasy setting using some modified 3.5 rules only because I have quite a few books.  Pathfinder is a good idea, but not now with the overall story idea that I had been writing.  I just didn't want to run a typical fantasy game.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer June 22nd 2013, 19:34

Spartan Legionnaire wrote: I wanted to run a "what if" style when the truce expired.  I think a resumed Clan invasion would be interesting.
    How about, instead of there being a truce, we just keep invading.  After some research, we have Wolf and Ghost Bear got victories, Diamond Shark Smoke Jaguar failed, Jade Falcon tied.  Which puts us at 2 Win  to 2 Loss  to 1 Tie.  So, we have Ice Hellion and Snow Raven left if Snow Raven wins and Ice Hellion loses its a complete tie and the invasion continues.  But if Snow Raven wins and Ice Hellion wins we win earth.
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen June 28th 2013, 04:38

Can I play a necromancer?
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer June 28th 2013, 16:45

Xeen wrote:Can I play a necromancer?

sssWWWEEETTT Idea! Yeah, that should always be available! Even in primitive times and even moreso because of the setting.

Wow, love it. I need to play something like a grave robber to complement you!

Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 Empty Bone Collectors

Post  Spartan Legionnaire June 28th 2013, 22:47

lol.  Yes.  That's fine. Go ahead.  Necromancer is a prestige class, so I guess you're starting with Wizard.  What race?
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 1st 2013, 12:45

LegendaryExGamer wrote:
    Xeen wrote:Can I play a necromancer?

sssWWWEEETTT Idea!  Yeah, that should always be available!  Even in primitive times and even moreso because of the setting.  

Wow, love it.  I need to play something like a grave robber to complement you!

I have another wild idea, you be the Necromancer and I can make a Summoner. Between the legion of undead and summoned monsters we can purge the entire world of opposition and resistance. Hiding behind our legions of reanimated and summoned beings!

Hilarious. We can sit down and have cheese and wine while our minions kill everything Wink
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 1st 2013, 16:25

race is still depending, I would need to know what a necromancer can do and with what ability.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 Empty RE: Bone Collectors

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 1st 2013, 16:49

I have to agree. I might even consider making a Cleric just because we would complement one another, raise dead, command undead.... = Happiness

If Todd Goes Wizard and Necromancer, I will make a complementary class like an Evil Cleric and we can be brothers, good friends or something ... hilarious.

Race will have to wait a bit until we see if Necromancer is even worth it, and if so I will find a type of Cleric that works with the Undead angle as well.
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 Empty PC Classes and then some

Post  Spartan Legionnaire July 9th 2013, 14:18

Looks like the party is shaping up pretty well.  Currently we have a Necromancer, Rogue, Paladin, and possibly a Cleric.

Disregard all previous Class, Race, Feats, Deity, and character creation postings.  Characters will still start at Level 5 and be awarded a bonus feat by the GM that will supplement their character. Determining Ability Scores can be done with either Point Buy with a 28 point pool, the Elite Array (8, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15), or Roll 4d6 and remove the lowest die (complete re-roll if two 1's or more are rolled).  If either using Point Buy or Elite Array, characters can be generated anytime.  Die rolls must be done in the presence of the GM. Characters will start with 9,000 gold pieces to buy gear (which includes magical items). As for alignments, I will accept any except True Neutral and Chaotic Evil.
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 9th 2013, 14:34

who is the paladin and rogue?
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

Post  Spartan Legionnaire July 9th 2013, 14:38

Xeen wrote:who is the paladin and rogue?

Feyd and Battlemage, respectively.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 9th 2013, 14:42

I certainly have a feeling that the Paladin is going to take issue to us raising an army of undead... Perhaps, he should consult us before we are forced to kill him and raise him as undead... heh.. Twisted Evil 
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

Post  Spartan Legionnaire July 9th 2013, 14:44

LegendaryExGamer wrote:I certainly have a feeling that the Paladin is going to take issue to us raising an army of undead...  Perhaps, he should consult us before we are forced to kill him and raise him as undead... heh.. Twisted Evil 

Feyd is playing a Paladin of Tyranny, lawful evil alignment.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 9th 2013, 14:51

Spartan Legionnaire wrote:
    LegendaryExGamer wrote:I certainly have a feeling that the Paladin is going to take issue to us raising an army of undead...  Perhaps, he should consult us before we are forced to kill him and raise him as undead... heh.. Twisted Evil 

Feyd is playing a Paladin of Tyranny, lawful evil alignment.

Happiness ensues... Rejoice Brethren! The time is upon us, to journey out into the world and remove many of the pantheon of God's creations from this universe, then raise them into their true forms of artistic beauty, undeath. Then we shall retire to our homes, after raping and pillaging the countryside and raising more of our beautiful creations to their full realization, of undeath, kicking back in the knowledge and reverie of our slaughter and drink wine, scotch and mead as if it was their very lifeblood pouring down our throats, and celebrate their deaths and resurrection unto the higher plane of perfection that is the rotting, and sultry smelling decay of death. Twisted Evil 
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 10th 2013, 02:23

Battlemage is Alice?
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 10th 2013, 10:05

Xeen wrote:Battlemage is Alice?

Yeah, I looked in the forum properties and matched the name to her email.

I am starting to have an issue with the smallish groups we are doing this with. We typically end up with 3... Sometimes 4. We really need about 6. Namely because there is no dynamic beyond a handful of us, and I personally think its getting a bit stale on the group front. More people means fighting for stage time, but honestly, we do need some more people.

Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 Empty Players

Post  Spartan Legionnaire July 10th 2013, 11:22

We do. What ever happened to Craig and Steph? What about Ryan or Jacob?
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 10th 2013, 16:11

Craig and Steph... Im not sure really, I kept inviting them to games and they kept coming up with excuses on why they cannot make it.
    LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 10th 2013, 17:07

Ryan has a lot on his plate right now. He has a kid, and is in the process of moving into a brand new home... God knows, I wish I took a vacation for this whole process, I am still living on the couch... I have sooooooooooooooo much left to do.
    Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 11th 2013, 01:50

Sun Elf Necromancer it is, or Gold Elf in the AD&D days. Should be fun.

I still want to play a dragon though LOLOL. Only been able to do it once for one game, Chris ran it years ago in his Epic campaign. I know the others played more games of that, but I could only make one. The only one I could play at lvl 5 is a white, but they are CE. Could do a Brass and lose a later level since their ECL starting is 6. Anyway...

Is Chris' Paladin going to be Evil? I also was thinking that maybe we should play more of a CG group. Doesnt matter I guess, we are playing the bad guys right now in Star Wars is all. Which would also mean no Necromancer if we changed alignments but I can change if everyone wants to.

LegendaryExGamer
    LegendaryExGamer
    Admin

Post  LegendaryExGamer July 11th 2013, 11:46

Actually, I am curious as to what Necromancer is being used and from what source so I can provide Todd with the information beforehand. He might just want to play the Wizard if it sucks... If It's the Diablo II Necromancer they are powerful, in a linear sense, like the game.

If its the prestige class, then it will be radically different from the DII Necromancer.

As for me playing a Cleric, still up in the air. I originally wanted to be a Mage, so I'm not certain where I am at on this. However, with Todd's racial choice, I will match him on that so that we can be Kin.

Xeen
    Xeen
    Commander
    Commander

Post  Xeen July 11th 2013, 15:53

LegendaryExGamer wrote:Actually, I am curious as to what Necromancer is being used and from what source so I can provide Todd with the information beforehand.  He might just want to play the Wizard if it sucks... If It's the Diablo II Necromancer they are powerful, in a linear sense, like the game.  

If its the prestige class, then it will be radically different from the DII Necromancer.

As for me playing a Cleric, still up in the air.  I originally wanted to be a Mage, so I'm not certain where I am at on this.  However, with Todd's racial choice, I will match him on that so that we can be Kin.  

Actually, you play the Elf Wizard. I may play a dragon that you are raising. You found my egg and hatched me (yep you sat on the egg lol). Seriously though, you found the way to hatch whatever it is Im playing. That would be kinda cool. I will have to figure out what dragon type based on the alignment we are rolling with.
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Spartan Legionnaire
    Minimal Participant
    Minimal Participant

New Game Setting: D&D - Page 2 Empty Alignment

Post  Spartan Legionnaire July 11th 2013, 19:13

Personally, I would like to run a Chaotic Good game, but that really depends on the what everyone wants to play. If Todd is going to play a dragon hatchling, then he's going to be smaller than the Kender rogue. Overall, this is going to be a very interesting adventuring group.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 10:46